In keeping with our mission to open the gates of higher education for all, UoPeople may accept transferred credits from both accredited US and accredited non-US institutions. You can apply for transfer credits if you are an applicant or an existing student at UoPeople.
What Credits Are Accepted at UoPeople?
University of the People will consider transferring credits earned at accredited US universities and accredited universities outside of the U.S. UoPeople will also consider credits earned from College Board AP tests or evaluated by ACE (including CLEP).
We accept the following official post-secondary credentials for transfer credit consideration: associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctorate degrees.
UoPeople will not accept remedial credits, experiential credit or continuing education units.
UoPeople will consider accepting transfer credit for a course in any instance in which the course content is equivalent to that of one of UoPeople’s courses or in which the course may be used towards an elective credit in a UoPeople degree program. To see how your previous coursework will transfer to UoPeople, please check our equivalency database. If your previous institution or a course you completed does not appear in the database, it does not mean that it will not transfer to UoPeople, just that we have not yet evaluated it. We are constantly updating the database with newly evaluated courses. Click here to access the database.
Each course considered for transfer must have a grade of C level or above. Once the course is recognized, it only transfers as earned credits without a grade and therefore does not affect the student’s CGPA.
How Many Credits Can I Transfer?
For undergraduate degree programs, UoPeople may award the transfer of up to 50% of the required program credits. In special cases, UoPeople may choose to make an exception allowing for up to 75%.
This means that students can transfer no more than 45 credits towards the completion of an associate’s degree, no more than 90 credits towards the completion of a bachelor’s degree, and no more than 18 credits towards the completion of a master’s degree.
How to Apply for Transfer Credit at University of the People
- Submit your Application to UoPeople.
- Receive an update stating you are qualified for admittance.
- Submit an Application for Transfer Credit (inside UoPeople Portal).
- Submit proof of course completion through this form.
How much does it cost?
Asking for credit evaluation does not cost money. Only if and when your transfer credit request is approved, you will be asked to pay an evaluation fee of $17 per accepted course to cover the evaluation costs. You may choose not to pay at that time if you decide not to transfer the credit. For those who cannot afford the fee, we may have grants available.
- Applicants must complete the online application to the university, including the Application Processing Fee (according to the University Admissions Policy).
- After receiving an update stating you are qualified for admittance, follow the email’s instructions and fill out the online application for transfer credit, including all materials and required documentation, within 7 days. You may still submit a request later, but only those who apply within 7 days have the chance to go into the Transfer Credit Foundations pathway- meaning you will only have to take UNIV 1001 during your Foundations term, rather than additional courses.
- UoPeople announces its admissions and unofficial transfer credit decisions by the Notice of Admission Day.Admitted applicants are first required to confirm enrollment to UoPeople and become UoPeople students.
- Students should then complete the degree program admissions process (the Foundations courses requirement according to the university policy) and become UoPeople degree students. Note that UNIV 1001 is non-transferable, therefore all applicants must at least complete this one Foundations course before becoming a degree student.
- The credits which were unofficially approved will be officially approved and transfer into the student’s transcript only once the student has completed at least one degree course at UoPeople and only after paying an Evaluation Fee of $17 per accepted course.
- Credits which were accepted to the University must be paid and transferred within five terms (one year) of being unofficially approved by UoPeople.
- Applicants who fail to pay the Evaluation Fee and transfer their credits into their UoPeople transcript within the required timeframe will be assumed to have declined the offer of transfer credit and their transfer credit application will be closed.
Submitting proof of course completion may be satisfied by the Submission of
AP courses: the record of the test results
ACE: an ACE CREDIT transcript
CLEP: a CLEP transcript from the College Board
For US institutions: an official transcript or copy
For non-Us institutions: a transcript and a course-by-course evaluation from a recognized foreign evaluation service.
All documents should be submitted electronically to the Office of Transfer Credit using this form.
For more information:
Read our Transfer Credit Q&A
Read UoPeople’s Transfer Credit Policy