University of the People (UoPeople) believes that access to higher education is a key ingredient in the promotion of world peace and global economic development. It views higher education as a basic right, and believes that it can both transform the lives of individuals and be an important force for societal change. UoPeople believes that education plays a fundamental role in strengthening respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms, and in promoting understanding and tolerance.
The mission of University of the People is to offer affordable, quality, online, degree-granting educational programs to any qualified student.
To provide the opportunity for higher education to students from diverse backgrounds through:
- Utilizing the internet to provide distance education
- Offering programs at minimal costs
- Providing a wide range of financial assistance options
- Promoting the University’s programs in underserved regions of the world
To offer quality programs that:
- Maintain high academic standards
- Include core components to foster critical thinking, communication, and commitment to lifelong learning
- Focus on competencies and skills required for success in the global economy
- Are continually assessed and improved through regular outcome assessment and external reviews
- Promote a culture of shared learning through collaboration, interaction and peer-to-peer teaching and assessment
- Are designed around open educational resources (OER)
To provide students with services that contribute to the achievement of the desired learning outcomes by:
- Engaging in a constant process of continual improvement
- Utilizing technology and automation to improve service and accuracy
To assist students in developing, evaluating, and implementing employment decisions and plans by:
Helping students develop self-knowledge related to career choice and work preferences
- Providing educational and occupational information to guide students’ career and educational planning and to develop their understanding of the world of work
- Linking students with alumni, employers, and professional organizations that can provide opportunities to integrate academic learning with the work environment and explore future career possibilities
To ensure institutional financial stability and growth through:
- Utilizing volunteers for leadership, academic and administrative work
- Maintaining highly efficient processes
- Developing a community of supporters
UoPeople is based on the belief that education at a minimal cost is a basic right for all qualified applicants, not just for a privileged few. The University works to open the gates of higher education to qualified students anywhere in the world by offering its programs through distance learning and by making this opportunity affordable.
UoPeople creates a global community by making its academic programs, educational services, and employment opportunities available to qualified individuals from all over the world, and by providing learning opportunities that engage students and faculty from diverse backgrounds.
UoPeople grounds its institutional culture in candor, transparency and best professional practices, and expects all students, faculty, staff, and administrators to uphold the highest standards of personal integrity, honesty and responsibility. Additionally, the University expects its students to take responsibility for their education, and to pursue their studies diligently and with seriousness of purpose.
UoPeople provides a high-quality, online liberal arts education suitable in scope and depth to the challenges of the 21st century. The University assesses and evaluates all aspects of its academic model on an ongoing basis.