Grievance Procedures

The U.S. Department of Education requires that institutions comply with all institutional authorization and licensure requirements in every state in which the institution offers distance education programs and degrees. Institutions are also required to provide current and prospective students with information on how and where to file complaints.


Our goal at UoPeople is to deliver our online degree programs in every state in the U.S. While most states do not require specific authorization or licensure for students residing in their state to enroll in our online programs, many states closely regulate distance learning and unfortunately in some of these states the process is lengthy, complex and expensive. From time to time we receive inquiries from students who wish to enroll in our degree programs and do not understand why we cannot process their applications. Know that we are working diligently on this issue and recommend that you check this page frequently for changes and updates.


Note that if you are seeking a degree that may lead to a professional license in your state of residence, we highly recommend that you contact your state’s licensing agency before enrolling at UoPeople. UoPeople cannot ensure that its programs meet the qualifications of each and every licensing board in the U.S.


UoPeople makes every effort to provide a positive learning environment for all students and numerous resources exist to assist you in meeting your educational goals. We encourage you to explore all of the support services that we have established for your benefit before filing a complaint. We are aware, however, that challenges may arise in any event. The list below is aimed at assisting you in navigating your options for the resolution of any concerns you may have about UoPeople and its academic programs. It provides contact information for every state in which UoPeople enrolls students, including the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico.


Note that this list should not be construed as informative of agency regulation, where UoPeople is licensed or in which states UoPeople is required to be licensed.


Your Right to Withdraw Consent under the GDPR

According to the European legislation on General Data Protection which has come into effect on May 25th, 2018, our data subjects are afforded several individual rights that you should be aware of, including the right to withdraw your consent from processing activities. University of the People is fully committed to upholding these rights and ensuring the safety of your data. If you would like a description of your rights under the GDPR, please see our Privacy Policy, and read the relevant legislation. If you would like to withdraw your consent from processing activities by University of the People, please click here.


UoPeople Grievance Procedures

Although you have the option of filing a complaint with an outside agency, keep in mind that most states will require that you first attempt to resolve your issue directly with the University. If you have an issue or concern about your experience with UoPeople, we encourage you to contact us directly at [email protected]. UoPeople Grievance Procedures can be found on page 25 of the UoPeople Undergraduate Catalog and page 24 of the UoPeople Graduate Catalog.


University of the People is accredited by the Distance Education and Accrediting Commission (DEAC), a national educational accreditation agency recognized by the Council for High Education Accreditation and the U.S. Department of Education. The DEAC is located at 1601 18th Street, N.W., Suite 2, Washington, D.C. 2009, (202) 234-5100. Click here to view UoPeople’s DEAC Consumer Information Disclosure Form Click here to view how to file an accreditation-related complaint with the DEAC.



Registering a Complaint with a State* If your issue cannot be resolved directly with UoPeople, you may file a complaint with the appropriate agency in your state of residence:


Alabama  Complaints against out-of-state institutions are handled by the Alabama Department of Postsecondary Education (at The Alabama Community College System), P.O. Box 302130, Montgomery, AL 36130. Phone: (334) 293-4500, Fax: (334) 293-4504.


Alaska Alaska Commission on Postsecondary Education, Attn: Kierke Kussart, Program Coordinator for Institutional Authorization, P.O. Box 110505, Juneau, Alaska 99811-0505. Phone: (907) 465-6741, Fax: (907) 465-5316, Email: [email protected].


Arizona Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education, Attn: Keith Blanchard, Deputy Director, 1400 W. Washington Street, Room 260, Phoenix, AZ 85007. Phone: (602) 542-5709, Fax: (602) 542-1253.


Arkansas Department of Higher Education Grievance form: 423 Main St, Little Rock, AR 72201, USA +1 501-371-2000


*At this time, due to state specific regulations, University of the People is unable to accept applications for admission to our M.Ed. Program from applicants residing in Arkansas.


California California Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education, 2535 Capitol Oaks Drive, Suite 400, Sacramento, CA 95833. Phone: (916) 431-6924, Fax: (916) 263-1897.


Colorado Colorado Department of Higher Education, Attn: Heather DeLange, Academic Policy Officer, 1560 Broadway, Suite 1600, Denver, Colorado 80202. Phone: (303) 862-3001, Fax: (303) 996-1329, Email: [email protected].


Connecticut Connecticut Office of Higher Education, Education & Employment Information Center, 39 Woodland Street, Hartford, CT 06105-2337. Phone: (860) 947-1800, Email: [email protected].


Delaware Delaware Department of Education, The Townsend Building, 401 Federal Street, Suite 2, Dover, DE 19901-3639. Phone: (302) 735-4000, Fax: (302) 739-4654, Email: [email protected]


District of Columbia Office of the State Superintendent of Education, Education Licensure Commission, 810 First Street, NE, Second Floor, Washington, DC 20002. Phone: (202) 727-6436.


Florida Commission for Independent Education, Florida Department of Education, 325 W. Gaines Street, Suite 1414, Tallahassee, FL 32399-0400. Email: [email protected], Fax: 850-245-3238.


Georgia Georgia Nonpublic Postsecondary Education Commission, (NPEC), Phone: (770) 414-3300, Fax: (770) 414-3309, Address: 2082 East Exchange Place, Suite 220, TUCKER, GA 30084,


Hawaii Hawaii Post-Secondary Education Authorization Program, Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs, P.O. Box 541, Honolulu, Hawaii 96809. Phone: (808) 586-7327, Email: [email protected].


Idaho Idaho State Board of Education, Attn: Val Fenske, State Coordinator for Private Colleges and Proprietary Schools, 650 West State Street, P.O. Box 83720, Boise, ID 83720-0037. Phone: (208) 334-1587, Fax (208) 334-2632, Email: [email protected].


Illinois Illinois Board of Higher Education, Richard Tapia, Associate Director for Diversity and Outreach, 1 N Old State Capitol Plaza, Suite 333, Springfield, Illinois 62701. Phone: (217) 557-7359, Email: [email protected].


Indiana Indiana Commission for Higher Education, 101 West Ohio Street, Suite 300, Indianapolis, IN 46204-1984. Phone: (317) 464-4400, Fax: (317) 464-4410, Email: [email protected].


Iowa Iowa Student Aid Commission, Attn: Carolyn Small, Postsecondary Registration Administrator, 430 East Grand Ave, FL 3, Des Moines, IA 50309-1920. Phone: (515) 725-3400 or (877) 272-4456 for the Information Service Center, Fax: (515) 725-3401.


Kansas Kansas Board of Regents, Attn: Jennifer Armour, Business Analyst, Private Postsecondary Education Division, 1000 SW Jackson Street, Suite 520, Topeka, KS 66612-1368. Phone: (785) 430-4288, Fax: (888) 975- 8313, Email: [email protected].


Kentucky Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education, CPE Consumer Complaint, 1024 Capital Center Drive, Suite 320, Frankfort, KY 40601. Email: [email protected].


Louisiana Office of the Attorney General, State of Louisiana, Consumer Protection Section, P.O. Box 94005, Baton Rouge, LA 70804-9005. Phone: (800) 351-4889 or (225)326-6400, Fax: (225) 326-6465, Email, [email protected]. See information on student complaints published by the State of Louisiana Board of Regents.


Maine Maine Department of Education, Attn: Harry W. Osgood, Higher Education Specialist, 23 State House Station, Augusta, ME 04333-0023. Phone: (207) 624-6846, Fax: (207) 624-6700, Email: [email protected].


Maryland Maryland Higher Education Commission, Maryland Attorney General, Consumer Protection Division, 200 St. Paul St., Baltimore, MD 21202. Phone: (410)-528-8662 or (888)-743–0823 (toll free), Email: [email protected].

The University of the People is registered with the Maryland Higher Education Commission to offer online education.


Massachusetts Massachusetts Department of Higher Education, Attn: Angela Williams, Paralegal and Coordinator for Accountability & Regulatory Affairs, One Ashburton Place, Room 1401, Boston, MA 02108. Phone: (617) 994-6963 or (617) 994-6950, FAX (617) 727-0955, Email: [email protected].


Michigan Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs, Corporations, Securities & Commercial Licensing Bureau, Administrative Services Section-Complaint Intake, P.O. Box 30018, Lansing, MI 48909.


Minnesota Minnesota Office of Higher Education, Attn: Ms. Betsy Talbot, Manager, Institutional Registration & Licensing, 1450 Energy Park Drive, Suite 350, St. Paul, MN 55108. Phone: (651) 259-3975 or (800) 657-3866, Fax: (651) 797-1664, Email: [email protected].


Mississippi Mississippi Commission on College Accreditation (MCCA) states that complaints against out-of-state institutions not authorized by the MCCA should be directed to the authorizing/licensing agency in the institution’s home state. The contact person at the MCCA is Menia Dykes, Director of Accreditation, Mississippi Commission on College Accreditation, 3825 Ridgewood Road, Jackson, MS 39211. Phone: (601) 4432-6372, Fax: (601) 432-6225, Email: [email protected]. Mississippi Attorney General’s Office Consumer Protection Division, 550 High Street, P.O. Box 22947, Jackson, Mississippi 39225-2947. Phone: (601) 359-4230, Fax: (601) 359-4231.

Missouri Missouri Department of Higher Education, 205 Jefferson Street, P.O. Box 1469, Jefferson City, MO 65102-1469. Phone: (573) 526-1577, Fax: (573) 751-6635, Email: [email protected].


Montana Montana Board of Regents, Office of Commissioner of Higher Education, Montana University System, 2500 Broadway Street, P.O. Box 203201, Helena, MT 59620-3201. Phone: (406) 444-6570. Montana Department of Justice, Office of Consumer Protection, P.O. Box 200151, Helena, MT 59620-0151. Phone: (406) 444-4500 or (800) 481-6896, Email: [email protected].

Nebraska Coordinating Commission for Postsecondary Education, Attn: Kathleen Fimple, Academic Programs Officer, P.O. Box 95005, Lincoln, NE 68509-5005. Phone: (402) 471-0030, E-mail: [email protected]. Office of the Attorney General, Consumer Protection Division, 2115 State Capitol, Lincoln, NE 68509. Phone: (800) 727-6432 or (402) 471-3297, Fax: (402) 471-3297, Email: [email protected].


Nevada Nevada Commission on Postsecondary Education, 8778 South Maryland Parkway, Suite 115, Las Vegas, Nevada 89123. Phone: (702) 486-7330, Fax: 702-486-7340, E-mail: [email protected].


New Hampshire New Hampshire Department of Education, Edward R. MacKay, Director, Division of Higher Education – Higher Education Commission, 101 Pleasant Street, Concord, NH 03301-3852. Phone: (603) 271-0256, Email: [email protected].


New Jersey Office of the Secretary of Higher Education, Attn: Complaints, 20 West State Street

4th floor, PO Box 542, Trenton, NJ 08625-0542. Phone: 609-292-4310, Fax: 609-292-7225.


New Mexico New Mexico Higher Education Department, Attn: Diane Vigil-Hayes Private & Proprietary Schools Division, 2048 Galisteo Street, Santa Fe, NM 87505-2100. Phone: (505) 476-8400, Fax: (505) 476-8453, Email: [email protected].


New York Office of College and University Evaluation, New York State Education Department, 89 Washington Avenue, Room 960 EBA, Albany, NY 12234. Phone: (518) 474-1551, Email: [email protected].


North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints, Attn: Terrence R. Scarborough, Director of Licensure, University of North Carolina General Administration, 910 Raleigh Road Chapel Hill, NC 27514. Phone: (919) 962-4558, Fax: (919) 962-7139, E-mail: [email protected]. North Carolina Department of Justice, Consumer Protection Division, Attorney General’s Office, Mail Service Center 9001, Raleigh, NC 27699-9001. Phone: (877) 5-NO-SCAM or (919) 716-6000.


North Dakota North Dakota State Board of Higher Education, Tanya Spilovoy, D. Ed., Director of Distance Education and State Authorization, 1815 Schafer St., Ste. 202, Bismarck, ND 58501-1217. Email: [email protected].

Ohio Department of Higher Education (ODHE), Attn: Max Exline, Assistant Director of Program Approval Operations, 25 South Front Street, Columbus, OH 43215. Phone: (614) 728-3095, Email: [email protected].

Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education, Attn: Jose Dela Cruz, Senior Coordinator of Academic Affairs Projects, 655 Research Parkway, Suite 200, Oklahoma City, OK 73104. Phone: (405) 225‐9141, Email: [email protected].

Oregon Higher Education Coordinating Commission, ATTN: Juan Baez-Arevalo, Director, Private Postsecondary Education, 3225 25th Street SE, Salem, OR 97302.. Phone: (503) 947-5977, Email: [email protected]. The HECC offices currently remain closed physically to the public, but the agency is continuing our work and services, and staff are available to the public by phone and email.


Pennsylvania Pennsylvania Department of Education, Postsecondary and Adult Education, 333 Market Street, 12th Floor, Harrisburg, PA 17126-0333. Phone: (717) 783-8228, Fax: (717) 722-3622, Email: [email protected].


Puerto Rico Council on Education of Puerto Rico, P.O. Box 19900, Ave. Ponce de Leon 268, Edificio Hato Rey Center Piso 15, Hato Rey, PR 00918. Phone: (787) 641-7100, Fax: (787) 641-2573. Puerto Rico Department of Justice, P.O. Box 9020192, San Juan, Puerto Rico 00902-0192.

Rhode Island
RI Office of the Postsecondary Commissioner, 560 Jefferson Blvd., Suite 100, Warwick, Rhode Island 02886-1304. Phone: (401) 736-1100.

South Carolina
South Carolina Commission on Higher Education, Academic Affairs, Attn: Student Complaint, 1122 Lady Street, Suite 300, Columbia, SC 29201. Phone: (803) 737-2260, Fax: (803) 737-2297, Email: [email protected].


South Dakota South Dakota Office of Attorney General, Division of Consumer Protection, 1302 E Hwy 14 Suite 1, Pierre, SD 57501-8501. Phone: (800) 300-1986 or (605) 773-4400, Fax: (605) 773-7163, Email: [email protected].

Tennessee Higher Education Commission, Attn: Shauna Jennings, Complaint and Records Manager, Parkway Towers, 404 James Robertson Parkway, Suite 1900, Nashville, TN 37243-0830. Phone: (615) 741-5293, Fax: (615) 532-8845, Email: [email protected]. Tennessee Division of Consumer Affairs, 500 James Robertson Pkwy., 12th Floor, Nashville, TN 37243-0600. Phone: (800) 342-8385 or (615) 741-4737, Fax: (615) 532-4994.

Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, Office of the General Counsel, P.O. Box 12788, Austin, Texas 78711-2788. Phone: (512) 427-6101, Email: [email protected].


Utah Utah Division of Consumer Protection, Attn: Complaint Processor, Heber M. Wells Building, 2nd Floor, 160 East 300 South, SM Box 146704, Salt Lake City, Utah 84111-6704. Phone: (801) 530-6601, Fax (801) 530-6001, Email: [email protected].

State of Vermont Agency of Education, Attn: Cassandra Ryan, Postsecondary Approval Coordinator, 219 North Main Street, Suite 402, Barre, VT 05641. Phone: (802) 479-1030, Fax: (802) 479-1835, Email: [email protected].

Virginia State Council of Higher Education for Virginia, 101 N. 14TH St., 10th Floor, James Monroe Building, Richmond, VA 23219. Phone: (804) 371-2285.

Virgin Islands
Virgin Islands Department of Education, Office of the Commissioner, 1834 Kongens Gade, St. Thomas, VI 00802. Phone: (340) 774-0100, Fax (340) 779-7153.

Washington Student Achievement Council, 917 Lakeridge Way SW | Olympia, WA 98502. Phone: (360) 753-7800, Email: [email protected]. Washington State Office of the Attorney General, Consumer Protection Division, 800 5th Avenue, Suite 200, Seattle, WA 98104-3188. Phone: (800) 551-4636 or (206) 464-6684.

West Virginia
West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission, Executive Vice Chancellor for Administration, 1018 Kanawha Boulevard, East, Suite 700, Charleston, WV 25301-2837. Phone: (304) 558-4016, Fax: (304) 558-5719.

State of Wisconsin Educational Approval Board, Attn: Blanca James, Office Operations Associate, 431 Charmany Drive, Suite 102, Madison, WI 53719. Phone: (608) 266-8065, Fax: (608) 264-8477

Email: [email protected].

Wyoming Department of Education, Hathaway Building, 2nd Floor, 2300 Capitol Avenue, Cheyenne, WY 82002-0050. Phone: (307) 777-6210, Fax: (307) 777-6234. Wyoming Attorney General, Consumer Protection Unit, Kendrick Building, 2320 Capitol Avenue, Cheyenne, WY 82002. Phone: (800) 438-5799 or (307) 777-8962, Email: [email protected].


* All links to state and/or complaint information current and active as of January 31, 2017.